Ask folks in these parts about the War of 1812 and they’ll likely mention the attack on Ogdensburg. But that only scratches the surface of the historical record in this region as recounted by the St. Lawrence County Historical Association at http://www.slcha.org/warof1812/sites.php and providing GPS coordinates for each site.
- The militia encampment at Old DeKalb in May, 1812: On April 10, 1812 Congress authorized the raising of 100,000 men from the various state militias in anticipation of the outbreak of war. In response to this call, on May 2, 1812, General Jacob Brown, commander of the 4th Brigade of the NYS Militia, sent muster orders to Lt. Col. T. B. Benedict of DeKalb, commander of the 123rd regiment of the St. Lawrence County Militia. About 100 men camped and trained for 10 days at the village before marching over muddy roads to Ogdensburg.
- First county courthouse: On Oct. 13, 1813 the British shelled Ogdensburg while county court was in session at the first courthouse on State Street. The court was adjourned not five minutes before a cannon ball passed through the courtroom lodging in the wall above the defense attorney’s table.
- Battle between the Julia and Earl of Moira. Near Morristown in the St. Lawrence River the schooner Julia, sailing from Sacket’s Harbor full of military supplies for Ogdensburg, engaged the ship The Earl Of Moira of 18 guns at about 3 p.m. The battle continued until 6:15 p.m. when the British ship withdrew to Brockville.
- Wilkinson’s Troops Disembark: Three miles upriver of Ogdensburg at the intersection of the Stone Church Road and NYS Route 37, in the fall of 1813, General Wilkinson commenced the largest movement of US troops ever attempted up until that time. He assembled a force of over 7,000 men. They were to be met by General Hampton from Plattsburgh, with several thousand more men, near Saint Regis. The plan was to sail and march down the St. Lawrence River and capture Montreal, circumventing Ogdensburg under cover of darkness using the Stone Church Road.
- Red Mills: On Oct. 16, 1813 Lt. Col. Nelson Luckett’s regiment of the US First Dragoons were spread along the southern shore of the St. Lawrence River from Ogdensburgh to Red Mills to ensure that spies from either side were not crossing the river. At 10 p.m. Major Francis Cockburn, the commander of the Canadian Fencibles at Prescott crossed the river and attacked at Red Mills.
- Burning of the Militia Barracks at Waddington: On Nov. 10, 1813 the Royal Navy entered Waddington and demanded that goods taken in an October raid on British boats be returned, or else the village would be burned. The Americans agreed but the British burned the barracks before crossing back to Canada.
- Confiscation of War booty by British at Madrid: In January 1814 loyalist forces crossed the St. Lawrence near Point Iroquois at night and marched to Madrid, pressing local teams into service and recovering the remainder of goods taken in the October ship raid.
- Barracks at Massena: In 1812 a military barrack was built at Massena, which were burned by the British in September 1813.
- The St. Lawrence Turnpike: The road was authorized in 1809 to run from Malone to Carthage specifically to facilitate transportation of troops and supplies between Sackets Harbor and Plattsburgh.
- Russell Arsenal: Built as one of nine arsenals to guard the northern and western frontier.
- Kellogg’s Public House: Served as the community gathering spot for the Towns of Oswegatchie and DeKalb. When the British attacked Ogdensburg, Forsythe’s Rifles fled to here as did some residents of the city.
- Blockhouse at Gouverneur: In the summer of 1812 residents of Gouverneur built a blockhouse in the middle of the road near the intersection of Main Street and Clinton Street.
- Rossie Blockhouse: In 1812 the residents of Rossie built a blockhouse. The first town meeting of the Town of Rossie took place in the blockhouse in March 1813.
- Grave site of War of 1812 soldiers: At Pierrepont along the Russell Turnpike an historic marker marks the grave site where several soldiers of the War of 1812 died.
- Whitehouse Bay: Site of Samuel Stacy’s ferry where US troops under General Wilkinson first crossed the St. Lawrence River in preparation for the Battle of Chrysler’s Farm.
- British incursion into Rossie: A British force of 60 men crossed into Hammond and proceeded to Rossie in pursuit of horse thieves in the summer of 1814.
- The Pine Grove: Site of War of 1812 military encampment on the St. Lawrence Turnpike.
- Raid on Hopkinton: Soldiers of the British 103rd Regiment of Foot traveled to Hopkinton from French Mills to confiscate 289 barrels of flour.
Ted Como, firstname.lastname@example.org