In 1749, a French and Iroquois alliance established a “mission fort” where the St. Lawrence and Oswegatchie rivers meet. It stood where the current U. S. City of Ogdensburg is located, on what is now the U. S./ Canadian border between New York State and the Province of Ontario. Named “Fort de la Présentation” by the Fort’s founder, the Catholic missionary Abbé Francois Picquet, it was one of only four forts constructed in New York during the French colonial period (1749-1760).
The Fort brought several cultures together – American, Canadian, Native American, French, and British – for worship, trade and protection. The strategic St. Lawrence Valley location made the Fort a valuable military asset in three wars, each time serving a different national interest – the French in the French and Indian War, the British in the American Revolution, and the Americans in the War of 1812.
The Fort is considered the founding settlement of the City of Ogdensburg, New York, which grew around the Fort in the post-Colonial years. In later years, the Fort was torn down and the site used for industry beginning in the 19th century. The property ultimately became a vacant
brownfield site, until the Fort La Présentation Association obtained and re-mediated the property.
The Fort La Présentation Association has been fortunate in acquiring approximately 21 acres that makes up a significant portion of the original site of the Fort. For years our 501 C 3 corporation has worked toward our goal of reconstructing this historic French mission fort. Research and development at the property continues with the cooperation of the New York State Office of Parks and Historic Preservation. Throughout the year the all-volunteer Association work on a number of events that continue to educate the public on the significant, multicultural history of the site.